I was thinking about this just now and I want to take a moment and have some fun with this. Nowadays, a fighter has to be well-rounded if he wants to succeed in the cage and one day, fight for (and win) a world title. MMA has come a long way since 1993 where it was all about being good at one thing, to the days of Pride FC where the best fighters were excellent at one particular discipline but had some functional knowledge of one or two other arts. Now, a fighter has to know a little bit of everything and be really good at it if he wants to get anywhere. So without further ado, here are the characteristics that would comprise my ideal fighter. They are in no particular order.
1. The accuracy of Anderson Silva
2. The boxing of Junior dos Santos
3. The wrestling of GSP
4. The strength, power, and explosiveness of Brock Lesnar
5. The Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu of Damian Maia
6. The conditioning of Cain Velasquez
7. The reach of Jon Jones
8. The unorthodox strikes of Lyoto Machida
9. The tenacity of Chael Sonnen
10. The speed of Jose Aldo
11. The kickboxing of Alistair Overeem
What about you? What does your ideal fighter look like?